Are you wondering how to cure Diarrhea? When you are having Diarrhea you feel pain in the abdomen, loose motion, vomiting, watery stools frequently thought a day. So, I’ll explain what is diarrhea? How does it cause? How to prevent it?
What is Diarrhea?
Diarrhea or Gastroenteritis is a common problem where a person having loose motions, dehydration, watery stools and need to urge frequently for bowel movements. Usually, diarrhea can last for a few days.
There are two types of Diarrhea
- 1) Acute Diarrhea
- 2) Chronic Diarrhea
When you are having Acute Diarrhea it usually lasts for 2 to 3 days and less than 4 weeks. The main reason for Acute Gastroenteritis is a viral or bacterial infection. Rotavirus and Norovirus are the major cause of Viral Diarrhea. In Infants, rotavirus is easily found and Norovirus affects both children and adults. Salmonella is the cause of bacterial infection.
In a chronic Diarrhea condition, you will face a problem continuously for more than 4 weeks. There are several reasons behind chronic Gastroenteritis like
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Food Allergy
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Irritable bowel syndrome is usually the reason behind chronic diarrhea. In this condition, a person faces stomach pain or abdominal cramp, The frequency of stool gets altered, In some of the case, a person has constipation, loose stool or both.
Malabsorption is a condition where the body not able to digest the nutrients, simply it is a deficiency of nutrients.if nutrients are not an adequate person may feel weight loss, iron deficiency, stomach pain, pain in the bone, fatigue.
Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
Inflammatory bowel disease classified into two more types Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn’s disease.
- Ulcerative Colitis:- Ulcerative Colitis found in the colon(large intestine) and rectum, Inflammation also found in the inner layer of the colon, It starts spreading from rectum till colon.
- Crohn’s Disease:- Under this condition inflammation found in the digestive tract. It affects all over the digestive tract.
Due to the side effect of the medicine can cause you diarrhea.so, check your medicine prescription with your doctor. Few medicines which can cause you diarrhea are
- Chemotherapy medicines
Diarrhea is also caused by a food allergy or food intolerance where the person has an allergy to a specific food. Sometimes it starts reacting suddenly or later when you intake food.
Symptoms of Diarrhea
There are several symptoms of diarrhea in both acute and chronic you may feel. Some of the common symptoms are as follows
- Abdominal pain
- Watery stools
- Blood in stools
- Weight loss
If you have this kind of symptoms so, consult with a doctor. Otherwise, it can lead to more dangerous problems.
Especially if you feel dehydrate consult a doctor immediately if you having this kind of symptoms
When you should consult a doctor?
In Adults, if you find any kind of symptoms more than 48 hours given below then consult a doctor immediately.
- Fever higher than 102 F or 39 C
- Frequent loose stools
- Blood in your stools
- Dark urine
- Stomach pain
- Dry mouth
- Continues from last 3 days or more
In Young Children, Babies, The parents should visit the doctor as soon as possible. If they find any kind of symptoms more than 48 hours given below.
- Fever higher than 102 F or 39 C
- Dry mouth
- Pain in stomach
- Blood in stool
- No tears while crying
- Continues from last 2days or more
How to diagnose diarrhea?
You should seek a doctor if diarrhea has not stopped after 48 hours. They will give you medicine or advice for laboratory tests depends upon circumstances.
- First, they will advise you to check the Complete blood count (CBC). If they find low anemia in your blood they will suggest you do ferritin test.
- Stool test required to check whether bacteria or the parasite is infecting your intestine.
- Colonoscopy is a test to examine changes in the colon(large intestine) and rectum
- Sigmoidoscopy is a test where they look into your sigmoid colon.
- Thyroid-stimulating hormone(TSH) is used to detect hypothyroidism.
- Bile Acid Malabsorption(BAM) this test will identify nutrient deficiency or surplus.
Many Additionals tests are required if the situations are more severe.
How to prevent diarrhea?
Now you know how diarrhea causes and its types lets understand how you should prevent it.
- Wash your hand properly with handwash or sanitizers before eating and after using bathrooms.
- In young children or babies make sure to get a vaccination of rotavirus.
- The parent should keep an eye on the children they should not eat contaminated toys, foods.
- Always eat properly cooked food.
- Keep perishable food inside in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Drink boiled water.
- Before eating fruits and vegetables please wash it.
- Consume dairy food which is pasteurized.
- Don’t eat food from unhygienic stalls or shops.
So, we know what is diarrhea type of it, symptoms, how to cure diarrhea. One thing I wanted to highlight when you facing diarrhea symptoms tries to follow the Bland diet, exercise. In this, you can consume food like Banana, Apple sauce, Coconut water, Toast Bread, Boiled P.otato.If you have dehydration try to get hydrated. If the diarrhea is still after 2 days then take the appointment immediately.